Thursday, May 22, 2008

Best Parenting Book.... EVER!

I recently finished reading John Rosemond's, Parenting By the Book, and I have to say this is the best manual on parenting I have ever read! (And I am not exaggerating...I have read most of them.)

Shortly after our first child was born, Todd and I got
The New Parent Power, also by Rosemond. His question and answer format worked for finding a quick discipline solution or method, but I can't say it did much for providing the big picture, strategic design of parenting.

In Parenting By the Book, Rosemond (nationally-syndicated newspaper columnist and 20-year veteran psychologist, recently baptized into a relationship with Christ) makes a compelling argument AGAINST consequence-based discipline and FOR the disciple based on the Bible. He firmly states, "behavior modification doesn't work with human beings, which is one reason why today's parents are having so much frustration in the area of discipline." His book reacquaints you with the tried and true methods used by great-grandma and proves how they are rooted in the Bible.

John's study in the history of post-modern parenting psychology (our current parenting culture) was absolutely eye-opening for me. It was all the stuff we grew up with. Not syaing that I turned out to be a bad apple, but having tried the techniques on my own kids, I found little lasting result. I've tried the honor and respect approach, I've tried listening and reasoning. But when it comes right down to it, children are born with criminal-like intent (sin in their heart) and it needs to be nipped in the bud before it blossoms into full-fledged rebellion. Rosemond lifted the guilt I had from saying, "Because I told you so!" For the past year, I've viewed that statement as more of a cop-out than a solid reason to give the kids.

And good news! For parents who struggle with ADHD "diagnosed" children, he offers a FREE advanced copy of the first 21 pages of his upcoming book entitled, The Diseasing of America's Children: Exposing the ADHD Fiasco and Empowering Parents to Take Back Control.

For more information on John Rosemond, visit his site at
http://rosemond.com/.

May God bless your family!
lisa :)

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I'll have to check this book out when I get a chance. Things are so busy right now that I don't have time for "extras".

I didn't hear anything about getting together in June. Are we getting together in July?