Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Move me...

I've never been one to embrace change, but I must say I always look forward to ringing in the New Year. I love the thought of getting a clean slate and the chance to begin again. Thankfully the do-overs aren't always from ground zero, although sometimes it is best to level it and start from scratch.

While I was growing up, I remember staying up late watching Dick Clark and crying with excitement when the ball dropped in Times Square. These days, I'm lucky if I have the zip to stay up until 11:00 PM. The excitement of watching the ball drop has diminished, but I still feel the anticipation of waking up to a brand new year.

Looking back over 2008, I was indeed blessed. Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University changed our lives (and marriage) for the better, as Todd and I have become debt free (except for the house). Now we're teaching "Total Money Makeover" each quarter at church! Changes in our finances led to the decision to home school the kids this fall. That has been a challenging, yet rewarding experience! (On the rewarding days, I wish I didn't have to work and could just home school full-time!) But working at First Christian is a blessing, too. God is definitely molding me with every new challenge. (On the rewarding days, I wish I could work full-time and really put more time into the ministry!)

Looking ahead to 2009, I see a handful of things I'm ready to change or improve. In no particular order, I will strive to:

  1. Build and maintain integrity (say what I do and do what I say).
  2. Develop physical peace (love the skin I'm in).
  3. Be organized and clutter-free...almost to a fault!
  4. Be more thankful (in writing and out loud).
  5. Want less for me.
  6. Do more for others.
  7. Be content to just be (create my own private Tucson).
  8. Know my limits and priorities.
  9. Always seek knowledge and truth.
Someone once said, "Change only takes place when the pain of change is less than the pain of staying the same." I must say, there is much truth to the statement. Change, no matter how small, forces me out of my comfort zone and sets me up for frustration. But, I can no remain with my version of status quo.

One of my favorite songs is "You Move Me" by Susan Ashton. In it she reminds herself while singing to God, "I can't go with you and stay where I am, so you move me."

You Move Me
This is how it seems to me
Life is only therapy
Real expensive
And no guarantee
So I lie here on the couch
With my heart hanging out
Frozen solid with fear
Like a rock in the ground
Oh, but you move me
You give me courage I didn't know I had
You move me
I can't go with you
And stay where I am
So you move me
Here is how love was to me
I could look and not see
Going through the emotions
Not knowin' what they mean
And it scared me so much
That I just wouldn't budge
I might have stayed there forever
If not for your touch
Oh, but you move me
Out of myself and into the fire
You move me
Now I'm burning with love
And with hope and desire
How you move me
You go whistling in the dark
Making light of it
And I follow with my heart
Laughing all the way
Oh, 'cause you move me
You get me dancing and you make me sing
You move me
Now I'm taking delight
In every little thing
How you move me
I pray to be moved this coming year. Because no matter where God moves me, I'll always be with him.
~lisa

No comments: